Monday, May 10, 2010

CTV British Columbia - 'Fat fingers' could be behind market crash - CTV News

CTV British Columbia - 'Fat fingers' could be behind market crash - CTV News

Great story about what "might" have caused the Stock Market crash last week. It's all bout the fat fingers, which I totally understand because I too have a tendency to "fat finger" things.

Yslr yjr drmyrmvr gpt omdysvr./ Yjod od ejsy js[[rmd og upi gsy gomhrt yjr lrunpstf/ zoy
d sm sjpmrdy ,odyrsl/

Did you get that sentence? It's what happens when you "fat finger" the keyboard and type in the wrong information. It could really cause a problem. I also do a lot of "fat fingering" on my iPhone, which again, can cause a problem for the reader, but it usually doesn't cause the Stock Market to crash.

A couple of solutions:

1. Only hire traders with thin fingers.
2. Maybe put in a system of checks in balances where a question is asked "Are you sure you want to sell 6 Billion (with a B) stocks right now?"
3. Maybe have a supervisor check out stock sales for more than a billion dollars ... you know ... just in case.
4. Explain that stuff to the American Herd of Sheep a little sooner so they don't all panic and run for higher ground and get run over on a major highway along the way.

I hope they get this menage waxed fast? Whoops. I mean I hope they get this menace fixed fast.

No comments: